Hello Lovelies & Happy New Year!
I know this post is coming to you halfway through January, but all of us ended up sick. I’m hoping this finds you happy and healthy! Today we are taking a look back at 2017 and also talking about the goals I am setting for 2018, including a small bucket list of items and attitudes and habits I want to adopt or change.
2017, A Look Back
2017 was kind of an insane year for me. There were lots of health scares, family emergencies, and periods of non-stop work. It was also a year of incredible growth and blessings. Starting an Adrian Empire chapter with my family, celebrating the total solar eclipse in August, making some amazing new friends, I have a lot to be thankful for. At the start of the year, I picked a word to carry with me through the 12 months of 2017. The word I picked was Meraki.
“Meraki: to do something with soul, creativity, or love; to put something of yourself into your work.”
Now when I look back on last year, I can definitely see where I carried the essence of my word through the things I did and didn’t do. It pushed me to commit only to things I was truly passionate about and to work hard to bring those projects to fruition. To do things with passion and love enabled me to better align my priorities and live the life I wanted to create and the environment that would best help me grow. Thank you 2017 for the opportunities and the lessons you provided me! I am truly grateful.
Fearless and Flourishing: My Words for 2018
This year, instead of picking a single word to define and shape my year, I picked a phrase. This phrase is the new motto of The Fiery One and I hope to cultivate the attitude and lifestyle that enables it to succeed for years to come. 2018 will be guided by the phrase “Fearless and Flourishing”. Why these words in particular? Let’s start with Fearless. This is a word that has followed me through every stage of The Fiery One. At the very beginning, the quote which inspired and drove me to create was
“Be Fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.”
While the dictionary will tell you that being fearless is to be without fear, I’ve always felt it was more complicated than that. To me, being fearless is to be afraid, and to do that thing anyway. Being afraid can prevent you from taking risks, but I’ve often found that some risks are not only worth taking, but are incredibly rewarding. Along this school of thought are “you’ll never know if you do not try,” and “If you never ask, the answer is always no.” In 2018, I want to be more fearless so I can grow past those things that scare me.
To flourish means “to grow or develop in a healthy way”, an attitude I want to take into 2018. I want to grow and learn and develop into a healthier person; mentally, emotionally, and physically. I want to stretch my limits, my comfort zone, and discover a deeper connection to my potential. I want to love more, give more, and help more than I ever had before. Part of adopting this mindset and habit is by creating and realizing goals. So for 2018, here are some goals I have made.
My Goals for 2018
Habits & Personal:
- Drink more water – Right now, I do fairly okay with my water consumption. I certainly drink more water than I did last year! Since upping my water intake, my headaches have reduced, my fatigue has reduced, but most amazingly (to me) my skin has cleared up! After battling acne for over a decade, my skin is finally normalizing.
- Stretch More – I want to incorporate more stretching and yoga into my routine. I deal with muscle pain and stiffness on a daily basis and want to create a habit of stretching my muscles. Becoming more flexible would be a bonus, let’s see what happens!
- Focus on Skincare – My long battle with annoying skin has left me with much to be desired. I really want to focus on taking better care of my skin and fixing some of the problems I have with it. In the last few months, I’ve really been diving deep into skincare and definitely want to continue learning about it. I will also share what I’ve learned so far here!
- Eat Healthier and More Nutrient Dense – I shared with you a bit last year about my adventures with my gastroenterologist. We learned about a number of my food sensitivities and allergies, and I’m working on creating meals that fall within my criteria and are also super nutritious. I’ll share my recipes if you’re interested!
- Budget & Pay Off Debt – Several years of emergency room visits have really hit us hard. This year I want to really work on budgeting, sticking to it, and paying off the debt as fast as possible. Saving up for a house will be much easier (and faster) without debt!
- Read More Books – This year I took Goodreads Reading Challenge and challenged myself to read 52 books! That’s at least one book per week. Additionally, I am challenging myself further by requiring that each book I read crosses off something on my list. Check out my 2018 Reading Challenge here. Add me on Goodreads and read with me!
- Attend My Sister’s Wedding – One of my sisters is getting married this summer, and I couldn’t be happier for her. She lives in Washington, and while it’s not super far away, it still requires budgeting for travel and missed work. I’m very excited to see her on her happy day!
- Go to Imperial War in The Adrian Empire – This is basically a great big event within Adria where chapters can participate in a full-scale battle. It is also an opportunity to participate in empire-wide tournaments, which is super exciting. Taking place over Labor Day weekend in September, we are currently working hard to prepare for our whole chapter to attend!
- Photoshoot for 5 Years – My husband and I will be married 5 years this July! We want to get our photos taken which I am excited about. I can’t wait to celebrate with him!
- Travel – This one doesn’t yet have specifics, but one of my goals is to simply travel. 2014 was the year I went to Disneyland, 2015 was the year I went to a wedding in Georgia, 2016 was the year I went to Texas for a wedding, 2017 I wasn’t healthy enough to travel. But this year, Adventure awaits.
- Seeing The Nutcracker Ballet – This has been one of my top goals since I was a tiny kid. I have always been enchanted with ballet, and as an adult, I know the amount of work and talent that goes into creating beautiful art that appears effortless and full of otherworldly grace. I would love to see this ballet this winter!
- Attend a Retreat – This is something I’ve been looking into for a few years. I’d love to attend a retreat focused on bettering myself. Some potential ideas are yoga, meditation, or even herbalism. I want to do a retreat because it gives me the mental space to fully commit to my intention. As someone that works from a home office, it’s sometimes easier to have a change of atmosphere. It can provide new insight and inspiration.
Business and Blog
- Start on Youtube – Technically, I have a channel. This is one of the goals that I’ve wanted to work on for years, but I haven’t uploaded videos because I haven’t had the time. This year I want to carve out time to create visual content to share with you!
- Keep Developing Etsy Shop – I opened my Tea shop on Etsy in December! I’d like to continue expanding my flavors and inventory to provide more options. I am very passionate about tea and I love that I have an opportunity to share it with you.
- Blog More Regularly – Right now there is no rhyme or reason to the schedule of my blog posts. I’d really like to post more regularly and take the time to connect with you!
- Work on growing Gaelacia – I am currently the person in charge of all of Gaelacia’s social media. This year for my Adria goals I’d like to create a fundraiser, create a newsletter, and expand Gaelaica’s network. As a non-profit, I am proud to support our efforts in education and the arts and want to multiply our potential positive impact.
- Create More – One of my major goals for this year is simply to create more. Writing, painting, sewing, I want to help make the world more beautiful.
- Become Self-Sustainable – Right now my business has a lot of ups and downs, and a large part of that has to do with the fact that I don’t post super regularly. One of my goals is to have a sustainable, and altogether more stable business so I can commit to other projects and bring you more content.
All in all, I want this year to be about new adventures, growth, and more love. I haven’t been this excited for a new beginning ever before. 2017, thank you for all you taught me. 2018, here we go! Thank you so much for reading. I hope this new year brings you joy and prosperity. To new beginnings!